Cabinet of Curiosities by Thistle Threads

Well my dear friends ... after long and thoughtfull consideration - which took me over a year - I decided to take the plunge and subscribe for the Cabinet of Curiosities online class by Thistle Threads!

As it is a project which will be time - and money - consuming I didn't immediately dive in. Actually I've been thinking to join last year (2013) but chickened out just before the closing date. Recently I've seen another announcement on a third class (or is it the 4th?) starting this year due to popular demand. I've considered this as a sign so I'll be in!
 
 
 
Taken from the Thistle Threads blog (which explains far better what it's all about):

The course teaches the fundamental information needed to design, embroider and cover a wooden cabinet to make a replica of a 17th century casket.  For those who have ever seen a picture of an embroidered cabinet or been lucky enough to see one in person, these items delight and enchant and are quite desirous for needleworkers. 
The course is 18-months and includes three phases:
- learning about the meaning and design of the 17th century embroideries seen on caskets so you can design your own;
- trying out embroidery techniques on five small projects that include a small trinket box;
- learning how to finish and apply the embroideries to a box. A small trinket box is provided to learn on with reproduction finishing materials.
Two kits are sent during the class. They include four full 32-color thread lines (Soie Ovale, Soie Paris, Silk Gimp and Silk Wrapped Purl) that were reproduced in a color line that matches the back of 17th century embroidery. That is over 125 tubes of silk fiber! Other contents include the fabrics and finishing materials for the five projects and the trinket box with reproduction hardware.
 
 
Some students use the designs I offer in the class, others design their own based on the motifs and design instruction, and others use a contemporary muse to make something their own. A casket will take a long time to embroider - it needs to be what you want to hand down generations, not the teacher's vision.
The course is designed to allow the student to chose to make their own wooden form or purchase one of the boxes or mirrors that I offer.

Can you tell that I'm excited to begin this journey ... even though I don't exactly know where it will lead me (if I'll make a casket myself or if I'll be purchasing one with her afterwards - students get a reduction but it's still expensive)! ;-)
 
I'll keep you posted!
 

Comments

Mii Stitch said…
Good luck Ann & most importantly: have fun!
Dani - tkdchick said…
That is going to be an fascinating process!

Popular posts from this blog

Favourite designers - Renato Parolin and Rovaris

Long time no see

First ornament of 2013!